Saturday, October 9, 2010

Thanks to God For Sending His One and Only Son

Today's Reading
Deuteronomy Chp 28

Wow....reading of this chapter (and listening to Moses) freaked me out and made me think about how great it is that God sent his one and only son Jesus so that we could have a NEW covenant with God. The old covenant clearly would not have worked. Just read some of the excerpts of this chapter:

1 If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. 2 All these blessings will come upon you and accompany you if you obey the LORD your God".

Ok God I am with you so far...but then you start talking about what happens when I don't follow these commands so carefully:

20 The LORD will send on you curses, confusion and rebuke in everything you put your hand to, until you are destroyed and come to sudden ruin because of the evil you have done in forsaking him.

...

and here:

58 If you do not carefully follow all the words of this law, which are written in this book, and do not revere this glorious and awesome name—the LORD your God- 59 the LORD will send fearful plagues on you and your descendants, harsh and prolonged disasters, and severe and lingering illnesses.

God sets the bar so high that it is impossible for us to reach.

But then along comes Christ and we have freedom from the law and the vicious cycle of sin and death.

1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, 4in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit. (Romans 8:1-4)

My Prayer: Lord I am thankful that you sent Jesus to earth to die for my sins so that I could have freedom from sin. We are all sinful by nature but not trapped by sin because you loved us SO much that you gave up your one and only son so that we could be free - you are great and you love ME so much - AWESOME! Forgive me for sin against my wife and children and help me draw nearer to you and through this more of the husband, father and Christian man you want me to be.