Monday, October 4, 2010

You CAN Talk to God Directly!

Today's Reading
Deuteronomy Chps 16-18

Here in the Old Testament, Moses reminds the Israelites of their fear of direct contact with God - this is from God appearing to the Israelites through a great fire and cloud on Mt Sinai.

"Let us not hear the voice of the LORD our God nor see this great fire anymore, or we will die." (Deuteronomy 18: 16)

So, instead God provides prophets through whom we can hear God's words.

17 The LORD said to me: "What they say is good. 18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. (verse 17-18)

In the New Testament of course we have a new covenant with the Son of God. I found this link here which is useful. One of the scriptural references provided discusses how we have direct access to Jesus and there is no need for a high priest or prophet that is among us on earth. Instead we have direct access to Jesus as the Highest of All. With Jesus, we have someone that was among us and is now above us! How great is that! He can sympathize and rule over us as God - without the need for any king or prophet.

14Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. 16Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. (Hebrews 4: 14-16)

My Prayer: Lord, I know you that you know all of the struggles I experience and you can not only sympathize with where I am but you died for me so that I can not only be cleansed of any sin but also look forward to heaven! You are so awesome and I love you. Forgive me for my weakness and protect me as I continue to seek to do your will and draw nearer to you. Thank you for how you love me and for how you talk to me through scripture, brothers and sisters and through all of the ways you speak to me. Help me love you more and be you more.

I pray for our world
- protection of our troops in battle against terrorism and in battle throughout the world
- protection of people all over the world from terrorism
- protection of those spreading the good news all over the world
- provision for those who are hungry and in need shelter
- that missionaries we know and do not know can save the unsaved

I pray for our city
- that Southbridge and other churches can reach and save the unsaved in RDU
- that our community group can be a light with how we serve

I pray for our community group
- that those seeking other groups can be connected to people for life change
- that our community group can be led re: whether to continue or to branch out into other groups
- for PD and MD to have wisdom, discernment re: financial situation and for you to provide and encourage and strengthen, and to provide peace
- for MM for nephew's protection and for sister/brother in law and baby on way
- for MM and JM for new CG and for father's new church
- for MD/MD for connection and glory with new CG
- for SD for relief/comfort/healing
- for men's ministry and that we can reach men and glorify God

I pray my family
- that those not saved in my family can be saved; that I can be a witness to them
- that my children are saved
- that I raise my children in the ways of the Lord and not raise them harshly; give me guidance
- that I glorify you in how I treat my wife and encourage her
- protection for Dustin and success with his surgery