Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tithe as Sacred

Today's Reading
Deuteronomy Chp 26

I am aware of God's command to tithe, yet I am reminded today of how my blessings come from Him and remain his and I am only a steward of these blessings. I need to set aside the tithe as sacred.

12 When you have finished setting aside a tenth of all your produce in the third year, the year of the tithe, you shall give it to the Levite, the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied. 13 Then say to the LORD your God: "I have removed from my house the sacred portion and have given it to the Levite, the alien, the fatherless and the widow, according to all you commanded. I have not turned aside from your commands nor have I forgotten any of them. 14 I have not eaten any of the sacred portion while I was in mourning, nor have I removed any of it while I was unclean, nor have I offered any of it to the dead.

I can't recall tithe being referred to as "sacred" (dictionary defines as dedicated or set apart for the service or worship of God). Regardless, with such a definition, unless I tithe I am not just holding back from God - I am STEALING what is His. This is of course entirely different. As scripture indicates, I must remove the tithe from my house and give it (back) to God.

My Prayer: Lord, you have blessed me financially beyond what I have imagined. Forgive me for my greed and selfishness. Help me to tithe and to also be a good steward of how you have blessed me. Help me return to you what is yours.