Wednesday, October 20, 2010

We Are Called to Confront Sin of Others!

Today's Reading
Joshua Chp 7

First we see great sin by Achan. 

1 But the Israelites acted unfaithfully in regard to the devoted things; Achan son of Carmi, the son of Zimri, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took some of them. So the LORD's anger burned against Israel.

Then, the Israelites are beaten back and suffer a heavy loss at the hands of the Amorites in Ai.  Joshua tears his clothes in anguish and moans to the Lord that the Israelites should not have been delivered so far only to be beaten back at this point - he is concerned that now the Israelites will suffer great harm from all of their enemies who might surround the Israelites.

 Yet God is impatient with Joshua and instead admonishes him and instructs him to confront the sin of Achan:

10 The LORD said to Joshua, "Stand up! What are you doing down on your face? 11 Israel has sinned; they have violated my covenant, which I commanded them to keep. They have taken some of the devoted things; they have stolen, they have lied, they have put them with their own possessions. 12 That is why the Israelites cannot stand against their enemies; they turn their backs and run because they have been made liable to destruction. I will not be with you anymore unless you destroy whatever among you is devoted to destruction.
  
13 "Go, consecrate the people. Tell them, 'Consecrate yourselves in preparation for tomorrow; for this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: That which is devoted is among you, O Israel. You cannot stand against your enemies until you remove it.

So Joshua does as the Lord instructs and Achan and his family are removed and Achan is put to death.

My Prayer: Lord, You have delivered me from great difficulties and trying times and I am in awe of how You work your miracles and protect and provide for me.  I am so blessed - most importantly that You are in my life!  Thank you for your word, the church and for the brothers and sisters you have placed in my life to deliver and support me - all for your glory!  Forgive me for my neglect of my relationship with you.  Help me focus on you and not on work or other matters that are clearly not as important as you.  Help me confront sin in my own life and in the life of my family and brothers and sisters.  For sin that I see in others help me love and bring others to you so that they see the light and the truth of Jesus Christ.