Monday, November 21, 2011

But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.

Hebrews 3:12-15

To avoid drifting (Hebrews 2:1) and the subsequent unbelief that may follow a sustained period of drifting, the author of Hebrews implores us to focus on our unity as a church body:

12 See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. 14 We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end.

Key to me in these verses is verse 13:

13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. 

I see two key messages from this particular verse:
1.  That we should walk along side our brothers and sisters in Christ and to encourage one another - this is something about which I already feel strongly about and this is also supported throughout scripture.
2. That we should encourage everyday - encouraged is defined as "to inspire with courage, spirit, or hope" - this is done either by our action or by our words.  We can encourage both believers and non believers and most importantly we are to glorify God by demonstrating the hope that only Jesus Christ can provide.

My Prayer: Lord, I love You deeply because You have saved me from slavery to sin and slavery to death.  You provide hope everlasting.  Yet there are times when I am not hopeful and I am also deeply sorry that my faith is weak in these times and seek Your forgiveness.  Help me grow in my faith and my trust in You and help me daily demonstrate the hope everlasting that can only come through the good news of Jesus Christ