Saturday, November 26, 2011

Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity

Hebrews 6

The author of Hebrews provides many warnings or stern admonishments, one of which that sticks in my mind is Hebrews 2:1

1 We must pay the most careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away.

For me the message is clear that we are to walk daily with God - it is a matter of persistence; just keep going (walking with God). 

In Hebrews 6, the message is somewhat repeated but what is also present is a message for us to keep going in our growth.  Our walk with God is not flat - it must have a trajectory upwards:

Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity - verse 1

This calls to mind another verse which for me serves as an encouragement - particularly as I strive to grow in my own faith:

I can do all this through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:13)


My Prayer: Lord, Your promise for us is great and it is unchangeable and true.  The more I reflect on Your promise to me, I am in awe of Your greatness and I desire to follow You with even greater fervor than I can muster - it is however with pain that I lament at how weak I am and how disobedient I am and how lazy I am.  Lord, please forgive me for all of this and help me truly fix my eyes on You.