Tuesday, November 22, 2011

For the word of God is alive and active.

Hebrews 4

As I continue to study the subject of God's rest and how I enter his rest through faith and obedience, I pause to reflect on the nature of God's word and how it plays a role in my life:

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. (verses 12-13)

In hindsight I can see how my study of His word has been a two-way dialogue. 
  1. I read God's word and hear God's voice 
  2. I reflect on God message for me and I come to Him to "true up" my faith relative to the passage which I have read.
This I believe is what is meant by the judging of the thoughts and attitudes of the heart and the uncovering that must take place.  We come to Him and we find Truth - it is only through Truth that we reveal in ourselves how we fall short.  We must step up - I must step up.

My Prayer: Lord, Your grace is both wide and deep for me - that You love me as You do is amazing given how broken and sinful I am.  I come to You broken and in need of Your love and power.  I ask that you forgive me for my weakness in my faith and for my laziness.  Purify me of thoughts that separate me from You and I ask that You transform my heart and my life.  Help me stay near to You and Your word.  Help me trust and obey.