Monday, April 9, 2012

1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism.

James 2

1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

At first glance I don't see favoritism in my relationships and in my life but upon closer inspection it is there:
- there are people in my life with whom I choose not to share the gospel, including my immediate family
- there are people to whom I choose not to display love as Jesus directs me to

It's not a matter of how someone looks - for me it boils down to how I feel, and very often I don't feel like it - how selfish is that!

My Prayers: Lord, You are of course a great God that does NOT show favoritism as you welcome all, especially those in need!  I on the other hand, do show favoritism and it is my own selfishness that is the cause (there may be more reasons why and this could be just the tip of the iceberg).  I thank You Lord Jesus how You extend Your welcoming arms to me at ALL times despite what I do - I am clearly not worthy.  Please forgive me for my selfishness and my self-centered-ness.  Please rid me and purify me of this sin Lord Jesus and help me focus more on You.  Transform both my heart and my life and do with me as You please as I truly desire to be Your servant with all of my heart.