Wednesday, April 18, 2012

As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil.

James 4

13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” 16 As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil. 17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.  

In addition God says this about worrying:

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? Matthew 6:25-27

Earlier in James I also read:


Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. James 1:14


Bottom line: Fill your heart with the Lord such that your desires are driven by the Holy Spirit and not by earthly influences because otherwise you will be drawn to worry and then sin.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, YOUR plans are perfect and glorious.  I have seen them not only in my own life but also in the lives of others.  Your plans are evidence of how great You are and  how great Your love is for me and all of Your children.  Yet I am not deserving of such love because I am prone to evil desires and I act on these evil desires.  While I am thankful for Your forgiveness I am once again in need Your cleansing power.  Forgive me and then please help purify and refine me such that my heart and my life is transformed.