Wednesday, May 30, 2012

5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

Psalm 51

The focus of this Psalm is David's repentance following his sin with Bathsheba.  Relevant for me right now is David's desire for a "pure heart" and to "renew a steadfast spirit".  Additionally verse 12 speaks to me.

10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
    and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me from your presence
    or take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
    and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. 

I continue to have a troublesome attitude about working wholeheartedly as Peter exhorts us to:

18 Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.  (1 Peter 2:18).

Paul also echoes this same instruction:

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free. (Ephesians 6:5-8)


My Prayer: Lord, Only You are pure and holy - for this and so much more You are worthy of my love, worship, and obedience.  Yet I continue to fail.  I know You love me and You have blessed me (and continue to) so thank so much as I am undeserving.  I come to You now as David has done to seek a pure heart and a renewed spirit - restore to me "the joy of Your salvation".  Please help me Lord so that I can obey my earthly masters as both Paul and Peter exhort me to.