Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.

Psalm 141

Set a guard over my mouth, Lord;    keep watch over the door of my lips.
Do not let my heart be drawn to what is evil
    so that I take part in wicked deeds
along with those who are evildoers;
    do not let me eat their delicacies. 

My heart is pierced by the above words, particularly verse 3 but also verse 4.  I am prone to lash out when under stress and my words cause harm to those around me at home, work and elsewhere.  I need the Lord's help to protect me from stress and lashing out. 


I think of the words of James as well:


The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. (James 3:6)
...
Help me stay near to the Lord Jesus and have His words - heavenly words and wisdom - firmly in my heart:


17 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18 Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:17).
My Prayer:Lord, only You are pure, holy, and right.  You are the standard and You are truth.  I fall because I lack a strong faith - and I am deeply sorry for this Lord Jesus.  Thank You for all that You are, all that You do, and for Your love and grace towards me.  I don't deserve Your love - yet of course You provide it anyway.  Please forgive me Lord Jesus for harsh words towards others and also Lord Jesus purify and refine me of this sin.  Help me embed Your words in my heart.  Help me strengthen my faith and trust more deeply in You.