Monday, June 3, 2013

But the Lord said, “You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow."

Jonah 4

But the Lord said, “You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow." v10

Jonah is of course saved by the Lord and then goes on to warn Ninevah about God's anger towards them and about what will happen to them if they don't repent and turn to the Lord.  They do repent and God shows mercy on them and does not destroy the city.  Jonah then is angry with the Lord...his anger stems from his own belief that God's judgement lacks wisdom, and that his own judgement is more suitable. 

When we become more absorbed with our own thoughts vs those of God we of course can't see the greatness and wisdom of God.  This plays out with Jonah as his anger stews over the withering of the plant (that God provided!) that provided him shade:

Jonah had gone out and sat down at a place east of the city. There he made himself a shelter, sat in its shade and waited to see what would happen to the city. Then the Lord God provided a leafy plant[a] and made it grow up over Jonah to give shade for his head to ease his discomfort, and Jonah was very happy about the plant. 7 But at dawn the next day God provided a worm, which chewed the plant so that it withered. 8 When the sun rose, God provided a scorching east wind, and the sun blazed on Jonah’s head so that he grew faint. He wanted to die, and said, “It would be better for me to die than to live.”

But God said to Jonah, “Is it right for you to be angry about the plant?”

“It is,” he said. “And I’m so angry I wish I were dead.” v5-9

I cannot claim of course that I don't do this.  The key here is to set your eyes upon Jesus...as the "race" is long and we will never perserver unless we keep our eye on the finish line:

And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.  Hebrews 12: 2

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, everything You have done and everything You do is perfect and great.  I have seen Your greatness in my life and in the life of those close to me.  I am not worthy of such love and blessing.  I am weak and selfish.  I know You love me anyway but please forgive me Jesus!  Help me so that Your desires are my desires.  Help me so that I can fix my eyes on You always and never lose sight of You and how Your greatness is present in all things and all the time.