Thursday, July 28, 2016

Not to us, Lord, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness.

Psalm 115

Not to us, Lord, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness. v1

Selfishness is a sin that drives many other sins.  I know for myself that a desire for glory, status, etc. is strong - I often want to exalt myself.  Yet we exist to exalt God and we must not exalt our selves over God - see here.  Humility - see here - is critical in our relationship with God.  If we see ourselves as important, this blinds us from seeing a need for God.  Instead we remind ourselves of Jesus' words from the Sermon on the Mount (Beatitudes):

“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Matthew 5:3-10

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You alone are great and all good and perfect gifts come from You.  I can no good things apart from You.  Thank You for how You have blessed me - well beyond what I deserve.  I am weak and I often exalt myself - please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength. Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure Lisa of her cancer and the side effects of chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach, and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.