Friday, July 1, 2016

Some became fools through their rebellious ways and suffered affliction because of their iniquities. They loathed all food and drew near the gates of death. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He sent out his word and healed them; he rescued them from the grave.

Psalm 107

Some became fools through their rebellious ways and suffered affliction because of their iniquities.  They loathed all food and drew near the gates of death. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He sent out his word and healed them; he rescued them from the grave. v17-20

Yesterday, I posted about how God provides many second chances and that He is full of compassion, patience, mercy, etc. Today's verses reinforce this very important message.  In this Psalm, we see both explicit (v10-16) and implicit (v4-9) wickedness result in God's mercy and compassion. We cannot claim that we are without sin and always deserving of God's blessings of mercy and compassion.


...[F]or all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God[.] Romans 3:23

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 1 John 1:8

My Prayer: Lord, You are a great God, full of mercy, compassion, patience, gentleness, etc. even though I am quite sure I am not deserving.  I continue to sin - I lack patience, I worry, etc.  Thank You for Your many blessings but please forgive me Jesus - I need You desperately.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure Lisa of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach, and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.