Wednesday, July 20, 2016

With my mouth I will greatly extol the Lord; in the great throng of worshipers I will praise him. For he stands at the right hand of the needy, to save their lives from those who would condemn them.

Psalm 109

With my mouth I will greatly extol the Lordin the great throng of worshipers I will praise him. For he stands at the right hand of the needy, to save their lives from those who would condemn them. v30-31

David spends much of this Psalm pleading with God to punish those who accuse and wrong him.  Justice is never a bad thing to seek but it should not preoccupy or consume us.  I am reminded of a movie I've recently seen - The Revenant (recommended BTW) - where a determined father struggles through great challenges with a core motivation being revenge on the man who killed his son.  In the end, the father gives up on his revenge as he recognizes that justice is God's alone.  Indeed, this is where we should focus.  Once we give up on revenge and justice, we will be motivated by love - to forgive, pray for, and love those who scorn us.  Easier said than done but God's will for us.

Scriptural examples include:
Luke 10:25-37 (Parable of the Good Samaritan)
Matthew 5:39
Luke 6:29

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You are a great God and You are a righteous judge, able to know all of what has been done, to be done and all of our motivations.  You judge perfectly and completely.  Thank You Jesus for taking care of this in my life so I can be freed from having a hardended heart that prevents me from carrying out Your will for my life.  I seek to glorify You alone.  Yet I often fail and I have neglected my relationship with You.  Forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do...even when they scorn me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Give Eunice and the Peterson family strength and comfort.  Praise that Will is with You and enjoying eternity with His Heavenly Father.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach, and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.