Friday, May 14, 2021

God’s word is alive and working and is sharper than a double-edged sword. It cuts all the way into us, where the soul and the spirit are joined, to the center of our joints and bones. And it judges the thoughts and feelings in our hearts. Nothing in all the world can be hidden from God. Everything is clear and lies open before him, and to him we must explain the way we have lived.

Pages: 211-221

God’s word is alive and working and is sharper than a double-edged sword. It cuts all the way into us, where the soul and the spirit are joined, to the center of our joints and bones. And it judges the thoughts and feelings in our hearts. Nothing in all the world can be hidden from God. Everything is clear and lies open before him, and to him we must explain the way we have lived. Hebrews 4:12-13

This morning, I continued with John Piper's Reading the Bible Supernaturally: Seeing and Savoring the Glory of God in Scripture, Part 2 The Super Natural Act of Reading the Bible, chapter thirteen - New Testament Pictures of Bible Reading as a Supernatural Act.  Here Piper seeks to help us understand how the "Bible describes [the] act...[of] God giving [believers] the decisive ability to see the all-surpassing worth of the glory of God" - in other words, what scripture points to how God helps us read the Bible supernaturally?

Piper starts by saying that "we must be born again-we must be given spiritual life-in order to see the things of the Spirit as they really are-more beautiful and more precious than all earthly treasures....[and this] new birth happens through the word of God."  Piper gives us several key passages that describe this - starting with James 1:18-21 and 1 Peter 1:23-2:3. Both passages point to processes where our soul is saved and Piper writes that "[n]atural processes do not save the soul[.]" Piper also uses 1 Thessalonians 2:13-14 to show that is a supernatural process - by "the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe." Piper then moves on to show God is at work in us as an ongoing process from sanctification to glorification - see Hebrews 4:12-13. Piper extends this supernatural reading process by showing how we can overcome Satan by "word of God abiding in us" - see 1 John 2:14.

Piper wraps up this chapter by encouraging us to understand that "we are to listen to Jesus as he speaks to us in the Scriptures so that his joy-the supernatural joy of the Son of God-might be our joy, and ours might be full (John 15:11)."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God and You give me eyes to see and ears to hear Your Word - and I am grateful.  I am able to see and taste Your glory and it is amazing.  I am grateful for all that You have done and continue to do in and through my life.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of the many blessings You pour out for me.  My sin, gossip, worry, etc. continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.