Monday, May 31, 2021

...Jesus Christ our Lord, through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations, including you who are called to belong to Jesus Christ...

Romans 1:1-7

...Jesus Christ our Lord, through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations, including you who are called to belong to Jesus Christ...  Romans 1:4-6

Today, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I started with a review of Romans 1:1-7.  Without reference to my commentary, and with the assistance of highlighting, my eyes focus on how in v5 Paul writes that we (meaning of course his readers in Rome) have received grace and apostleship "to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations." The grace and apostleship were a means to an end - that we act out the obedience required for faith as this was God's design and of course the ultimate goal is God's glory...as this is why we exist

According to the commentary for us to grasp the fullness of the text, we are also to understand:

  • the "gospel is God's good news (1:1)"; the Greek word used in the text refers to a common term used in "emperor worship; however, Paul wants to make clear that this is "God's good news for the world concerning his Son, Jesus."
  • the gospel was "promised in the Old Testament (1:2)"; we are to understand that there is continuity between the OT and NT and the OT serves as the foundation for the NT; there are not two Gods who authored the Bible but one; Christ of course fulfilled scriptural prophecy in the OT; the Word is Holy and divine. 
  • the gospel is "centered on Jesus (1:3-4)"; of course "the gospel is not preached if Christ is not preached." Jesus is described in the flesh, and as dead and resurrected; we also see the Holy Spirit; 
  • the gospel is "designed to bring all peoples to the obedience of faith for the sake of Christ's name (1:5)"; "Paul's longing is that the nations may have an obedience that flows from faith.  That is what "the obedience of faith means--a faith that leads to obedience.  Faith is the root; obedience the fruit...[t]he ultimate goal of gospel ministry is then stated: for the sake of his name."
  • the gospel is "transforming everyone who believes (1:6-7); "Paul tells the Romans where they fit in.  They are among the Jews and Gentiles who are part of this redemptive plan.  The gospel radically transforms whose who believe."  We are described as "loved by God" and "[t]this is a remarkable statement of transformation in view of the opening three chapters of Romans that describe our sinful nature."

For the original readers of these opening seven verses, and for any reader that has come after, these are indeed exciting verses as all believers are part of God's redemptive plan and that as children of God we are all on a sanctifying journey to be transformed into God's image until that one day when we meet Him face to face. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Jesus, You are a great God indeed and I am so very thankful that You have adopted me into Your family and that You are daily sanctifying me, making me more into Your likeness as this is for my satisfaction and Your glory - thank You Jesus! I am not deserving of any of this - my sin continues.  Worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.