Thursday, May 20, 2021

The Lord is good and right; he points sinners to the right way. He shows those who are humble how to do right, and he teaches them his ways.

Pages: 285-292

The Lord is good and right; he points sinners to the right way. He shows those who are humble how to do right, and he teaches them his ways. Psalm 25:8-9

This morning, I continued with John Piper's Reading the Bible Supernaturally: Seeing and Savoring the Glory of God in Scripture, continuing with Part 3 The Natural Act of Reading the Bible Supernaturally, chapter nineteen - Reading the Bible by Faith in His Promise to Instruct Us. Here, Piper seeks to build on the previous chapter where he focused on the 3rd letter of APTAT to trust or believe that God will help and guide us in our understanding of the Bible. His guidance from the last chapter was to "attach to specific promises of God, rather than dangling vaguely in the air of God's goodness."  This morning's chapter provides specificity around which promises we can use. 

Piper starts with Romans 8:32, where Piper says that "[t]here is no greater foundation (God's sacrifice of his Son in our place) and no greater structure built on that foundation-the promise that God will give his children all things."  He stresses that this promise "does not include every comfortable thing in life." Instead, Piper writes that God gives us what we need: "God will give us what we need in order to do his will and reach the goal of likeness to Jesus."  He points to Philippians 4:12-13 and 19 to further demonstrate a focus on needs vs desires or wants.  

He then comes back to the "crucial" point that "we fasten our faith to two or three clear expressions of this all-embracing promise in Scripture...[and that] hazy hope provides weak motivation." We are encouraged to memorize specific verses for us to attach our faith.  Piper provides the following examples:

Of course there are examples the apply based on specific needs including finances, pride, sexual temptation, etc. 

Piper also wants us to understand that while greater understanding may be provided to teachers (and greater accountability - see James 3:1-2), His guidance may be over time and through circumstances.  However, we should be certain that "God will help us see in the Bible all we need to see in order to arrive safely in his presence at the end of our lives, or at the day of his coming."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed great and worthy of my constant praise and worship.  Thank You for Your Word, Your Son, and the Holy Spirit - all of which You provided to me through grace alone...thank You.  I am wholly undeserving.  My sin continues...daily.  Divided heart, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.