Sunday, May 30, 2021

Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy Scriptures, concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations, including you who are called to belong to Jesus Christ.

Romans

Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy Scriptures, concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations, including you who are called to belong to Jesus Christ. Romans 1:1-6

Today, I started a new study based on what my Friday morning men's group will be starting - a study on the book of Romans.  As a companion to this study, based on recommendations from others I respect, I am using a commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook).  This commentary, authored by Tony Merida and edited as well by Merida, David Platt, and Daniel Akin, is part of the Christ-Centered Exposition series available from Christianbook.com. I am careful as I approach this study as John Piper has referred to this book (in terms of his ability to offer a sermon series on the book) as both the "greatest letter ever written" and "daunting" with the daunting aspect being a key reason for the care and caution as I proceed. 

The commentary emphasizes three key themes as background for Romans:

  1. it is a "Gospel-saturated letter"
  2. it is a "community-building letter"
  3. it is a "missional-letter"

On (1) the commentary states that "the gospel frames the letter" and Paul uses Romans to defend "the substance of the gospel, and he also describes how the gospel should shape Christian living and fuel Christian mission." The commentary goes on to state that "[i]n today's pluralistic, relativistic, skeptical world, there is great confusion regarding the nature of God, sin, and salvation. There is also a great need for professing Christians to grow in theological discernment."

On (2) the commentary describes division in Rome among Jewish and Gentile Christians and this "gave Paul an occasion to create a glorious, multi-ethic vision for the people of God." My commentary also states that this division and Paul's occasion to address it should encourage us to "pray for the Lord to help us love our (diverse) brothers and sisters better."

Finally, on (3) the commentary describes how Paul uses Romans to seek "support for his mission to Spain." See also Romans 15:24-29. The commentary indicates that Paul hopes to "unify the Christians in Rome so that they may be a home base for his mission to Spain."

Tomorrow I will being to unpack Romans - starting with Romans 1:1-7.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God indeed and You are worthy of my full attention - indeed aggressive attentiveness!  I have tasted and seen Your glory and it is amazing indeed and You have transformed my heart and life as a result!  Thank You Jesus!  Yet I am undeserving of these and all of the blessings You pour out for me.  I worry, and I am easily distracted by the world.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.