Monday, May 10, 2021

And now, brothers and sisters, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity.

Pages: 151-162

And now, brothers and sisters, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. 2 Corinthians 8:1-2

This morning, I continued with John Piper's Reading the Bible Supernaturally: Seeing and Savoring the Glory of God in Scripture, covering chapter nine - Reading to Be Transformed, Part 2. Here, Piper seeks to continue unpacking the fifth of six implications that flow from the ultimate goal of reading the Bible (as listed here); this implication is "that we should aim to be transformed by this seeing and savoring into the likeness of his beauty." Piper reminds of the last chapter where "savoring [of God's glory] pushes out the 'deceitful desires' that tricked us into thinking anything is more satisfying than God.  And that all-important seeing happens as we read the word of God." In this chapter, Piper uses 2 Corinthians 8:1-2 to provide a "snapshot of Christian transformation" that occurs when we move from seeing and savoring God's glory to be transformed by it. In these verses, including how they extend through to verse 7-8, is Paul's description of how the Macedonian churches' "abundance of joy" that resulted from love and pursuit of joy in the glory of God pushed them beyond human capacity to be generous.  Piper writes that this "pursuit of joy in the glory of God, far from making us self-absorbed, in fact, puts us on the quest of making others eternally glad in God.  Their joy in God is the expansion and completion of ours."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Jesus, Father, You are an incredible God and I know You love me.  You saved me and You continue to work in my heart, transforming me from one degree of glory to another - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessing...I worry, and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.