Wednesday, May 12, 2021

I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.

Pages: 179-196

 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. Ephesians 1:16-19

This morning, I continued with John Piper's Reading the Bible Supernaturally: Seeing and Savoring the Glory of God in Scripture, starting Part 2 The Super Natural Act of Reading the Bible, covering both the Introduction to Part 2 and chapter eleven - The Necessity and Possibility of Reading the Bible Supernaturally.  Piper starts by stating plainly, "no reading and no discovery [from reading the Bible] happen without seeing all things in relation to his worth and beauty[.]" Our dependence on God to read the Bible supernaturally stems from two key obstacles: "a blinding enemy outside [Satan] and a blinding disease inside [sin]." Therefore, according to Piper, we must approach the Bible "with a deep sense of helplessness, and hope-filled reliance on God's merciful assistance."

Piper then explores five ways how God provides divine assistance in reading the Bible: 

  1. He opens our minds (Luke 24:25-26, 44-45)
  2. He shines in our hearts (2 Corinthians 4:6)
  3. He enlightens the eyes of our hearts (Ephesians 1:16-19, 3:14-19)
  4. He gives us the secret of the kingdom of God (Matthew 13:16, Luke 10:21, Mark 4:11)
  5. God reveals himself to us (Matthew 16:16-17)

As much as anything this morning, I am encouraged by Piper to use as a daily prayer the passages in Ephesians (as Paul does) to enlighten the eyes of my heart.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and enlightens the eyes of my heart to the Bible, to Your glory and for me good - thank You Jesus for doing all of this and more!  My cup overflows.  I am undeserving.  My sin, worry, etc. continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.