Saturday, May 8, 2021

I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.....I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.

Pages: 117-133, Psalm 1, 119

I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.....I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. John 15:11, 17:13

This afternoon, I continued with John Piper's Reading the Bible Supernaturally: Seeing and Savoring the Glory of God in Scripture, covering chapter seven - Reading to Savor His Excellence, Part 2. Here, Piper seeks to continue unpacking the fourth of six implications that flow from the ultimate goal of reading the Bible (as listed here); this implication is "that we should aim in all our seeing to savor his excellence above all things." As stated in my post yesterday, Piper writes that the process through which we savor God's glory through reading/seeing is a two-step process - the first of which is covered in chapter six. Piper's focus today, in this chapter, is that "[s]cripture connects savoring the glory of God explicitly with reading the scriptures themselves."  Piper points to both John 15:11 and 17:13 to demonstrate the Word has been given to us "so that we might share in [Jesus'] joy."

While additional scriptural references are provided, Piper states that "the first psalm and the longest psalm (119) are both devoted explicitly to [the] savoring of God's word."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, Your Word is alive, active and perfect - and it is my sustenance - I cannot exist without it and I know I would descend into sin without it.  Thank Your Jesus for giving me salvation, Your Spirit, and Your Word...I am not deserving of such blessings. I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.