Tuesday, June 1, 2021

I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians,both to the wise and to the foolish.

Romans 1:8-15

 I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians,both to the wise and to the foolish. Romans 1:14

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I moved on with a review of Romans 1:8-15.  My initial reading sees an emphasis on Paul's love for the Romans and he is deeply encouraged by their faith and how he longs to be with his fellow believers in Rome. He shares how he is torn between his love and desire to be with the Romans and how he feels a sense of "obligation" or duty to preach among the Greeks and non-Greeks who he refers to as "barbarians" (v14). 

My commentary notes that Paul has not yet been to Rome, so he is "exposing his heart" for the gospel, his mission, and the Romans, and in so doing "he is building rapport" as this is deeply encouraging for his readers.  My commentary contains three key sections for today:

  • communion with God (1:8-10); he is described as thankful, and that only humble people show gratitude; we are encouraged to "pepper thanksgiving to God into our everyday conversations with one another"; Paul's passion is on display, including "people-centered passion" where he prays for the Romans and the church; we are encouraged to pray for believers and the church globally as these prayers "really matter; Paul desperately wants to get to Rome but as a busy missionary he has been unable to - yet he submits to God's will
  • concerns for the church (1:11-13); Paul explains why he is eager to go to Rome as he "wants to bless the church through his gifts of leadership and teaching"; we are encouraged to see how Paul wants to be an encouragement and to be encouraged (v12) and all of us need each other
  • commitment to preach the gospel to everyone (1:14-15); here we see how Paul sought to reach everyone not just a single people group; we are urged as well to focus on both non-believers and believers as "[w]e need a better understanding of various doctrines, we need to apply them to our lives, and we need to be reminded of our fundamental identity as well as as the hope that is ours in Christ"

In v14-15, RC Sproul in this post highlights a distinction of duty vs delight in our service to God. John Piper highlights how we owe grace to others as God freely gave it to us. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who freely redeemed me from my sin, giving me life to the full and for eternity - thank You Jesus!  Without a doubt I am undeserving.  My sin of worry, and other sins, continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.