Saturday, June 5, 2021

Let God be true though every one were a liar, as it is written, “That you may be justified in your words, and prevail when you are judged.”

Romans 3:1-8

Let God be true though every one were a liar, as it is written, “That you may be justified in your words, and prevail when you are judged.” Romans 3:4

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I moved on to the next chapter Why We Need the Gospel: No One is Righteous: Romans 3:1-20.  I start section one - In the Classroom with Paul: Romans 3:1-8.  Without my commentary, as I transition from Romans 2, in light of Jewish hypocrisy, I see how Paul questions what advantage the Jews may have.  They may have been the chosen people, and to be given God's lay, but they weren't very obedient and trusting - nor did they walk the walk.  He sees God's grace, righteousness, and glory in God's judgement of the Jews. 

My commentary starts with the description of Paul as an attorney delivering an opening statement with all of humanity on trial - we are all sinful.  He describes the Jews as perhaps having an advantage but they squandered it because they did not see Jesus as the promised Messiah from scriptures (see John 5:39-40).  The commentary goes on to show how Paul then is describing how although the Jews were unfaithful, God was not (v4) - God's faithfulness does not depend on Israel's faithfulness.  My commentary points to how Paul referred to Psalm 51:4 to agree with King David after his affair with Bathsheba that God is "justified in his words" when judging us. God is both faithful and just.  Paul then answers the question of whether we are doing God a favor by sinning (v5-8) and of course the answer is no.  My commentary points to how it is strictly a "human argument" to see how "unrighteous conduct could ever serve a good purpose of enhancing God's righteous character." God is also not magnified when we lie - He is not pleased. The commentary shows how v1-8 echo Romans 6 where Paul answers no to the question whether we should continue in sin so that grace is multiplied. We are warned not to "play games" with God and the Bible.  We are to "[s]ee the plain teaching of Scripture and respond in humble repentance and faith."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God and You are both faithful and just and I am grateful that You are both.  I can depend on You and Your promises are satisfying!  Unlike anything else - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You are faithful and just.  My sin continues...including impatience, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.