Sunday, June 6, 2021

Surely there is not a good person on earth who always does good and never sins.

Romans 3:9-20

Surely there is not a good person on earth who always does good and never sins. Ecclesiastes 7:20 (Romans 3:10, 12)

This afternoon, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I moved to the second section of Why We Need the Gospel: No One is Righteous: Romans 3:1-20; this section is entitled In the Courtroom with Paul and covers Romans 3:9-20. As a starting point, my reading of these verses indicates Paul's indictment of all humanity - Jews and Gentiles - as guilty of sin and Paul, knowledgeable of scripture, quotes Psalms (5, 14, 53, etc.) as he makes his case. In particular, he focuses on Jews who, although they live under and by the law, do not live a life consistent with the law and even if they do, this does not justify anyone.  

My commentary indicates that there are "fourteen total charges to provide that unrepentant humanity is guilty before God [and that] Tim Keller points out seven effects of sin in the list, saying that sin has affected:

  1. our legal standing
  2. our minds
  3. our motives
  4. our wills
  5. our tongues
  6. our relationships
  7. our relationship with God"

My commentary further breaks down these effects into three categories (1) the character of the accused (v10-12), (2) the conversation of the accused (v13-14), and the (3) conduct of the accused.  

The character of the accused is marked by ignorance, godlessness, waywardness, etc. The conversation of the accused is marked by course talk and the destructive nature of our words, including deceit. Our speech is described of course as a matter of the heart. The conduct of the accused is marked by violence, wretchedness, and perhaps most importantly "no fear of God before their eyes (v18)."

My commentary closes a discussion of 3:9:20 with a description of v19-20 - The Verdict.  Again, everyone is guilty of sin, including those who feel knowledge of the law saves and of course it does not - instead knowledge of the law reveals the depth of our sin!

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who came to save me - thank You Jesus!  I know You love me despite my sin - thank You Jesus!  I am thankful as well that You sanctify me day by day.  I am undeserving of such blessings as I continue to sin - worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.