Monday, June 14, 2021

No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised.

Romans 4:18-25

No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. Romans 4:20-21

This afternoon, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I continued with my review of chapter five Faith Alone, which covers the entirety of Romans 4.  My focus today is Romans 4:18-25.  The verses today are rich with both intent and application - as is all scripture (see also 2 Timothy 3:16). First it starts off with v18 where Paul does not seek to confuse us but instead points to where believers often fall down by placing hope where it does not belong as our hope should be in Jesus. Abraham did not misplace his hope.  The clarification from Paul comes in v19 where we see where Abraham did not place faith in his or his wife's body to conceive a child at their ages....instead scripture says that "[n]o unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised." What an incredible set of verses!

My commentary draws an analogy from Isaac's birth to Jesus' resurrection as a it refers to Isaac's conception as a "preview of things to come." The commentary then describes three "marks" of Abraham's faith: 

  1. He believed in a situation that seemed hopeless; the commentary writes that "[s]aving faith is hope-filled faith.  Abraham believed God could do the humanly impossible, and God fulfilled his promise to Abraham, making him the father of many nations.  
  2. Abraham's faith did not waver.
  3. Abraham gave glory to God (v20).
  4. Abraham believed that God was able to fulfill his promises (v21); my commentary DOES say that Abraham initially "questioned God's ability to fulfill his promise (Genesis 17:17-18)...he became convinced of God's ability to fulfill his promise (Genesis 17:21-27)." We are encouraged to see how faith is not "automatic" and that we are on a journey - growing in faith.
  5. Abraham's faith illustrates how God counts people righteous through faith alone

After describing the "marks of Abraham's faith," my commentary looks at v23-25 as Paul "applies the faith of Abraham" to all believers. 

We can all find ourselves in Abraham's faith story!

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides for all of my needs!  Thank You Jesus!  I can trust in You!  Yet I am undeserving of how You provide for me.  My sin of worry, etc. continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.