Thursday, June 10, 2021

It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

Romans 3:25-26

It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. Romans 3:26

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I moved to the next section of chapter four The Glory of Christ's Salvation, where the focus is on 3:25-26 and a discussion of demonstration. My commentary describes how there must not only be a "declaration" of God's righteousness, but also a "demonstration." The commentary writes how the "cross demonstrates God's love (Romans 5:8)," and in 3:25-26 God "emphasizes that the cross displays God's righteousness." Scripture also uses the word "forbearance" which is defined as "a refraining from the enforcement of something (as a debt, right, or obligation) that is due."  God's forbearance in v25 clearly demonstrates God's love as prior to the cross he refrained from punishing sins formerly committed.  Sin was punished (the flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, etc.) but my commentary indicates "God did not exact the full penalty for sinning against his glorious character."  He instead showed great mercy and patience. He also is "kind and patient, desiring people to repent (Romans 2:4) and because he planned to act in the cross".  Christ's death on the cross also resolves the question how "God can accept sinful men and women without violating his justice."  God is both "just and the justifier....as he is the only one who could both save sinners and satisfy God's wrath."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is both just and the justifier.  You are full of grace, patience and love and You of course died on the cross for me - thank You Jesus!  The greatest gift of all time!  Yet I know that I am undeserving of such a gift.  I too often seek my own comfort and not You - please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.