Friday, June 4, 2021

For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified.

 Romans 2:1-29

For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. Romans 2:13

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I moved on to the next section Judgement and the Jew: Romans 2:1-29. As indicated yesterday, here Paul focuses on hypocrisy of the Jewish leaders who in Paul's words by "passing judgement on another...condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things" (v1).  Paul also focuses on not (much like James does in James 1) just "hearing" the law but "doing" the law.  Paul warns hypocrites and the unrighteous of what awaits (wrath, fury, tribulation, distress v8-9) and encourages the righteous that glory and honor await them (v10, 12). 

My commentary reminds me that of course hypocrisy is not just a problem for the Jews in Paul's day but for everyone, including believers today. We must all acknowledge our sin, repent and seek holy living and obedience to Christ.  The commentary goes on to discuss eleven truths based on Paul's teaching in Romans 2:

  1. God's judgement reflects the reality of the situation - there is only God's standard (v2)
  2. God's judgement allows for no exceptions (v3)
  3. God's judgement means you should not presume on his kindness but turn to him in repentance (v4)
  4. God's judgement will result in God's just wrath on the unrepentant (v5); see also Matthew 7:23
  5. God's judgement is based on what we have really been, sought, and done (v6); seeking God's glory vs self glory is contrasted
  6. God's judgement has eternal consequences (v7-8)
  7. God's judgement is pronounced individually (v6-10)
  8. God's judgement is without partiality (v11)
  9. God's judgement is for everyone regardless of how they have received the law, either on tablets or on the heart (v12-15)
  10. God's judgement reaches to the secrets of our hearts (v16)
  11. God's judgement is in the hands of the Lord Jesus Christ (v16)

My commentary goes on to describe the "shameful effects of hypocrisy", including dishonor of God. Circumcision of the heart vs physically is emphasized - our heart condition is what matters. V27 is highlighted to demonstrate that "obedient Gentiles will in judgement over the disobedient Jews."  

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You provide Your Son, the Holy Spirit, and Your Word so that I can be saved and sanctified - thank You Jesus!  I know there is more and I am grateful for that as well!  Yet I am undeserving of ALL the blessings You pour out for me. I sin and my sin continues, including worry, etc.  Please help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.