Monday, June 7, 2021

For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus[.]

Romans 3:21-31

For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus[.] Romans 3:22-24

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I moved to chapter four The Glory of Christ's Salvation, which covers Romans 3:21-31. My focus this morning is Romans 3:21-24(a). As a starting point - without referencing my commentary - I focus on Paul's description of righteousness "manifested apart from the law".  The Jews saw the law as the basis for righteousness but Paul is writing that since we all sin even with the law, then no matter how well-versed we are with the law, including in deeds in obedience to the law, we are not righteous. As a matter of fact, Paul has just stated as such in 3:9-18 - not a single person is righteous.  Paul goes on to state that ultimately there is righteousness only through and with Jesus. Also in v21 is Paul's phrase that "the Law and the Prophets" bear witness to it - referencing v22 where there is a clear implication that Jesus is the fulfillment of the law and the many prophecies from the Old Testament prophets who wrote about the promised Messiah. V23 is a oft-quoted verse about our fallen nature and v24 builds our hope as we have justification and redemption through Christ.

As an introduction to the this chapter, my commentary refers to Romans 3:21-26, by way of quoting several other commentaries, as perhaps the most important in the entire book of Romans, as each of the "mega themes of the saving righteousness of God" are present, including justification, redemption, propitiation, grace, faith, and more!

This morning in particular, the focus starts specifically with "intervention" as described in 3:21. This verse starts with "But now" as Paul pivots from our fallen state to the hope in Jesus Christ. My commentary then moves to "justification" and how we "become right with God" - righteous by faith in Christ and not of our own effort (see also Philippians 3:9). The commentary describes this justified status as having a "new identity, a new family, and a new hope of enjoying a new creation."  My commentary also encourages us to not forget from v24 that we are justified by grace as a gift (see also Ephesians 2:8-9).

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who intervened, justified and redeemed me from my sin and gave me righteousness in Your sight - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a gift.  It is only by grace - thank You!  But again I am not deserving as my sin continues daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.