Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous.

Romans 5:12-21

 Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous. Romans 5:18-19

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I moved on to chapter seven Christ's Triumph Over Sin and Death, which covers Romans 5:12-21.  My focus today is Romans 5:15-19 which my commentary refers to as The Contrasts. Here we see Paul focusing not so much on how Adam was a "type of man" like Jesus (see v14 and yesterday's post) but instead on how Adam brought sin and condemnation and how Jesus brought life - hence contrasts. 

In showing such contrasts, my commentary starts by pointing out how in v15 and again in v17 the use of the words "much more" - indicating the use of such words describes the supremacy of Jesus vs Adam in how both are not equal in power. "In Jesus Christ, believers have gained much more than they ever lost in Adam."  My commentary describes the contrasts four ways:

  1. trespass and gift (v15)
  2. condemnation and justification (v16)
  3. death and life (v17)
  4. disobedience and obedience (v18-19)

Regarding #1, my commentary wants us to see how "gift" or "grace" appears eight times in v15-17 underscoring how we should never forget how we are undeserving of our salvation and that we should be humbled and have a heart of gratitude and worship. We are also encouraged to understand the value of the gift: "Paul is painting a dark picture of sin so that the good news of Christ will shine.  It is like what a jeweler may do when putting a diamond on a black cloth, so as to make the diamond sparkle." 

Regarding #2 we are to realize and walk the walk of our new identity as justified people and to build our lives on obedience to Christ. 

Regarding #3 we are to realize how we do not receive the gift of Christ automatically we must confess and believe in Christ. 

Regarding #4, my commentary leans on Tim Keller who wants us to see the importance of Jesus' obedience - his entire life - is a matter of life and death for believers 'because that obedience is our obedience, if we are in Christ instead of Adam.' The commentary goes on to state that "[s]o we have the whole biblical story line in this passage." We are encouraged to look at and reference 1 Corinthians 15:45-49 where Paul describes the superiority of Jesus vs Adam and how we have this hope of "being united in Christ."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who led of life of obedience so that I could have life - to the full now and for eternity in Heaven!  What an amazing act of grace and it is the greatest gift of all time.  I am undeserving.  I am full of anger and worry and other sins...which I am guilty of daily!  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.