Monday, June 21, 2021

More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

Romans 5:1-11

More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. Romans 5:11

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I continued my study of chapter six The Blessings of Justification By Faith, which covers Romans 5:1-11.  My focus today is Romans 5:11 which my commentary refers to with the heading We Exult in God Himself. With focus on this single verse, I reflect on the meaning of reconciliation and it brings to mind a return to God's design of our relationship with Him.  In the beginning (Genesis 2), before The Fall, man and woman lived in the Garden of Eden and there was no sin and no shame. Sin entered the world and since that time, sin separates us from God.  Jesus death on the cross gives us forgiveness of sins and we are restored to God's design for His relationship with us.  We should rejoice in reconciliation. 

My commentary wants us to read this verse and rejoice in God. It offers (quoting Tim Keller) six signs of rejoicing to God:

  1. Your mind is deeply satisfied with the doctrine of justification by faith.  You rejoice in it by studying it and speaking about it to others. 
  2. You only think of your past in terms it. You don't say: What a mess made of it there!  Instead you say: Me, a Christian! Despite my deep flaws, despite my record!  Yet it is absolutely true!
  3. When you discover in yourself a new character flaw, ...the discovery does not make you doubt God's love.  Rather it makes you feel closer to him, and his grace for you becomes more precious in your sight. 
  4. When your conscience accuses you and says: How could God love you after what you've done? you don't try to answer with reference to your performance. 
  5. When you face criticism, you don't say This is totally unfair.  You rejoice gently inside with thoughts like, Well, I'm really a much worse sinner than they know but....Well may the Accuser roar, of sins that I have done: I know them all, and thousands more: Jehovah knoweth none. 
  6. When you face death, you do it with serenity because you are going to a friend. 

 #5 in particular can sometimes be painful as I am often defensive but I shouldn't be. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God and I get to walk with You!  Your Son, the Word, the Holy Spirit - all of it!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of the reconciliation You bought for me. My sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me...anger, etc. Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.