Friday, June 18, 2021

[W]e rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope[.]

Romans 5:1-11

[W]e rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope[.] Romans 5:2b-4

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I continued my study of chapter six The Blessings of Justification By Faith, which covers Romans 5:1-11.  My focus today is the back half of Romans 5:2 through verse 4.  I continue to explore how, as a result of my justification by faith I am blessed and specifically this morning, blessed with hope.  I am to rejoice in not only this hope but in any challenges/trials/suffering I may experience as God is shaping me into more of his image and also keeping me focused on not just my time here on earth but what awaits in Heaven. 

My commentary encourages me to not forget how I am undeserving of this blessing of hope as it was faith alone that justified me not any of my or the totality of my works. I am also encouraged to see three applications from verses 3-4:

  1. God's priority is not to take away all of your problems; it's to make you like Jesus; suffering refines us and makes us more like Jesus.  It weans us off the pleasures of this world and reminds us of the ultimate realities. 
  2. God's purposes can be trusted.  God is working all things together for our good as he conforms us to the images of his Son.
  3. God's pattern can be anticipate: afflictions-endurance-character-hope; trials and suffering build character and give us confidence in God as we ensure more trials to come.

I am encourages to look at how suffering produces hope by looking at Mark 4:14-20 (Parable of the Sower):

And they have no root in themselves, but endure for a while; then, when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately they fall away. Mark 4:17

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed amazing and You give me hope - and I rejoice in this hope and I am grateful how You have molded me through suffering and trials.  I can reflect on these trials now and see the blessing and have confidence that I am more prepared for suffering as I know there will be more.  Thank You Jesus for being full of grace and that You never leave or forsake me.  I am not deserving of how You justify me nor am I deserving of my salvation or any blessing You pour out for me.  My sin continues - daily...of many kinds.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.