Tuesday, June 29, 2021

For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Romans 8

For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. Romans 8:3-4

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I started chapter ten The New Way of the Spirit, which covers Romans 8.  My focus today is Romans 8:1-13, which my commentary refers to under the heading The Spirit of Life.  Building on my post yesterday, where I discussed my commentary's view that Romans 7:7-25 focused on unbelievers and the futile nature of pleasing God with just the law, Paul is now talking about believers freedom from the law in terms of how God, through the Holy Spirit working in us, brings about obedience that we are unable to achieve on our own. 

For today's verses - v1-13 - my commentary discusses four new privileges of living in the Spirit:

  1. new freedom (v1-4); we "now" have no condemnation and as a result are truly "free" as Jesus "paid it all"; we are encouraged to remind ourselves of this freedom, particularly during times of trial and challenge
  2. new mindset (v5-8); we have "a new mind...new attitude, orientation, bent, pattern of thinking, and affections"
  3. new indwelling presence (v9-11); those in the Spirit belong to Christ (see also John 14:17, 1 Corinthians 6:19); v11 specifically gives us assurance of a future resurrection
  4. new obligation (v12-13); "mortification" of sin is described we are encouraged to do all we can to avoid and kill sin in our lives; "say no to sin and yes to God!"

The commentary ends by emphasizing privilege #4 by stating that "[m]any people think you have to give up pleasure to pursue holiness, but you actually find pleasure in the pursuit. You find life. You find joy."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who dwells in me and gives me joy...and life!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of the blessings You pour out for me...particularly my salvation.  My sin - of many kinds, including anger, harsh words, etc. - continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.