Saturday, June 12, 2021

And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness, just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works: "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered[.]

Romans 4:1-8

 And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness, just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works: "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered[.] Romans 4:5-7

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I started my review of chapter five Faith Alone, which covers Romans 4:1-25 and Paul discussion of justification as he reflects on the story of Abraham.  For today, the focus is Romans 4:1-8.  In these 8 verses, Paul makes it clear that just as Abraham was justified due to his faith, so are we.  Abraham of course acted out of his faith but it was his faith that spurred him to act.  Paul, well-versed in scripture, quotes both Genesis 15:6 where we read about Abraham's covenant with God and also in Psalms 32:1 where David reflects on the blessing of God's forgiveness. 

My commentary refers to Romans 4 as a story of both faith/belief and in belonging as Paul refers to Abraham in v1 as our forefather - implying that Jews and Gentiles alike are adopted into God's family.  We are also encouraged to remember all of the promises made (and kept!) by God as part of his covenant with Abraham - that Abraham and Sarah were to have a child (at very old age!), their descendants are to be numerous, and that God would give Abraham and his family Canaan as their home. We are also encouraged to see the foundational verses here (v2-3) as God "granted Abraham the status of 'righteous' when he believed."  The emphasis of how our righteousness is not earned but instead granted by faith alone is underscored in v5 where Paul writes how even the "ungodly" are justified by faith and my commentary makes sure we understand that Paul writes how Abraham is in this category of ungodly.  Paul's reference to David underscores how all of scripture is unified in this important subject of justification by faith alone. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father - You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and mercy for me - thank You Jesus!  I am of course undeserving - my sin of worry, etc. continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.