Tuesday, June 8, 2021

[For all] are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus[.]

Romans 3:24(b)

[For all] are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus[.] Romans 3:24

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I moved to the next section of chapter four The Glory of Christ's Salvation, where the focus on 3:24 and a discussion of redemption. My commentary defines redemption in its similarity to "freeing of slaves through a payment."  It goes on to describe how in the Old Testament, the blood of the Passover Lamb provides redemption for the first born sons who were spared the plague of death in Egypt. Jesus' death on the cross is described as the "New Exodus."  Four basic components of this New Exodus:

  1. Need of redemption
  2. Price of redemption
  3. Glory of Redeemer
  4. Familial nature of redemption

In terms of need, in the OT Israel suffered political, economic, social, and spiritual slavery and in the NT the need for redemption is magnified as "we are dead in sin and in need of new life...under God's wrath...slaves to sin...in the kingdom of darkness...[and] in need of transference into the kingdom of light." In terms of the familial nature of redemption, throughout scripture we experience God's endearing language towards His people, and in the NT, we are adopted into His family as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, I know You paid a price for my salvation and You continue to bless me immeasurably - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a gift - the greatest gift of all time.  But my sins continue, including worry, etc.  Please forgive me for my sins and help me overcome and turn from my sins towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength. Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.