Thursday, June 3, 2021

Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

Romans 1:18-32

Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. Romans 1:24-25

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I moved on with a review of Romans 1:18-32.  Here, Paul pivots from righteousness to the fate that awaits the unrighteous, and he describes how the unrighteous got there, including how they knew God but did not honor or thank Him (v19-21), and how the exchanged the glory of God for idol worship (v22-23).  We also see how God hardened hearts (v24-28) as he did with Pharaoh (Exodus 8-9).  Finally, we see descriptions of unrighteousness (v29-32). 

My commentary is much more pointed in its view of these verses pointing out to the depth of human depravity, with the implication that no one is righteous (Romans 3:10, 23, 1 John 1:8) and we all need a savior. It describes with 1:18:32, Paul has "mainly the Gentiles in mind" and how with 2:1-3:8, Paul "has the Jews primarily in mind." We are shown how Paul ultimately wants to get to the "good news" starting in Romans 3:21, but we must first get through the bad news in 1:18-3:20. The section for today in my commentary (1:18-32) is entitled Judgement and the Gentile.

In looking at the bad news we are encouraged to appreciate how "God's wrath is not a wild, emotional outburst.  God is 'slow to anger,' but he does not wink at sin."  His anger is both righteous and holy - we are to tremble at God's wrath and be thankful for our Savior. God's deliverance is described as having its roots in the Old Testament and how it cuts two ways, on some occasions Israel was delivered from the hands of its enemies, on other occasions it was the opposite, and how yet other times there is an awakening such as the prodigal son. We are also reminded that, sadly, "some never turn to God in repentance".  My reading from John Piper's book Providence makes it clear (as does the Bible) that faith is a gift from God. 

In looking at the causes of sin, my commentary indicates that "the whole array of sins that characterizes humanity has its roots in the soil of idolatry... [and] [s]in problems are worship problems."  It also states that "everyone has suppressed the truth (v18)", that the "whole world has natural revelation of God (v19)", and that "apart from divine grace, they do not respond rightly to it."  While creation reveals a "sense" of God but that believers are to preach the good news to provide a "specific revelation" or explanation of the gospel.

My commentary looks closely at idolatry and writes that Paul describes a "movement, madness, and misery of idolatry."  Believers enjoy the joy and satisfaction that only God provides.    

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who rescued me from my sin - thank You Jesus!  Yet I am undeserving because of my and because my sin continues - please forgive me Jesus for my worry and other sins.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.