Saturday, June 19, 2021

God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us...[B]ut God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 5:1-11

God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us...[B]ut God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:5, 8

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I continued my study of chapter six The Blessings of Justification By Faith, which covers Romans 5:1-11.  My focus today is Romans 5:5-8 which my commentary refers to using the heading We Know a Love Like No Other Love.

V5-8 starts with how the hope we have referenced in v2 and v4 does not put us to shame as the Holy Spirit helps us during our period of need during times of trouble - and this help manifests as God pouring love (v5) into our heart - what an incredible image.  I can't image God pouring a small amount of love as He is infinite! We then see how God loved us SO much (John 3:16) that He sent His Son to die on our behalf - while we were still sinners. Paul remarks how dying for another is rarely done for a righteous person, and it might happen for a good person (v7), but he has made it clear (see also Romans 1-3) that none of us are righteous and all of us are broken, sinful, and undeserving of God's gift of salvation. 

My commentary begs to differ with those who describe Paul as a writer of arguments while John writes of love.  It points out that Paul refers to the word love 75 out of the 116 times the word is use in the New Testament. The commentary then goes on to state:

  1. the greatness of God's love is displayed on the cross (v8); "[G]enuine love is always sacrificial" and we see Jesus redeeming us at a price we can never fully comprehend. An appropriate response is to love others as God love us and this is in fact what God commands (John 13:34)
  2. the greatness of God's love is displayed in our unworthiness (v6-8); Paul in v9 refers to us as enemies of God yet God still died for us!  That is love for sure like no other!

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You are indeed amazing that You would die for me - Your enemy!  I am so undeserving of what You have done for me and what You continue to do for me and I am in awe of how You love me. Thank You Jesus!  Yet again I am undeserving.  My sin of anger, etc. continues. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.