Wednesday, June 2, 2021

For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith,as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.”

Romans 1:16-17

For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith,as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.” Romans 1:17

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I moved on with a review of Romans 1:16-17. Here, Paul clearly states his view that the gospel is God and is the power of God.  It saves, provides the basis of faith for believers, and it reveals God's character and nature.  It also transforms lives and is the basis for sanctification so widely discussed in the book I just completed - John Piper's Reading the Bible Supernaturally: Seeing and Savoring God's Glory in Scripture.  My commentary refers to these two verses as the "nerve center" of Romans - as Paul goes on to declare regarding righteousness: 

  • no one is righteous (1:18-3:20)
  • by faith in Christ one is declared righteous (3:21-5:21)
  • Christians are slaves to righteousness (6:1-8:39)
  • and defend God's righteousness (9:1-11:36) 
  • and provide practical advice on righteous living (12:1-15:13)  

Just as Paul writes that he is "not ashamed of the gospel", my commentary also urges us to be proud of our firm belief in the gospel and its core truths. We may be mocked and shamed, perhaps not physically as Paul and other early believers were (or perhaps not depending on where you are), regardless, we can stand firm.  We must not be ashamed and Jesus warned the disciples and us not be ashamed (see Mark 8:38).  We must see, as my commentary refers to Bird, that the gospel not only describes God's power but it IS God's power. Salvation is referred to as having "already" and "not yet" dimensions - we continue to be sanctified through the gospel through glorification when we are complete and see Jesus perfectly. We are saved "from" spiritual and physical death and "for" rebirth in Christ and eternity in Heaven.  

My commentary notes how Paul references Habakkuk 2:4 in v17, and how "Paul quotes from the Old Testament in Romans more than in all his other letters combined.  There are at least sixty-one direct quotations from fourteen different books...faith is the way in which one stands right before God.  The whole Bible teaches us this."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and how saves me from physical and spiritual death and for new and full life here on earth and for eternity in Heaven - thank You Jesus!  All incredible gifts and of course I am undeserving.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.