Friday, June 11, 2021

Do we then overthrow the law by this faith? By no means! On the contrary, we uphold the law.

Romans 3:27-31

Do we then overthrow the law by this faith? By no means! On the contrary, we uphold the law. Romans 3:31

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I completed my review of chapter four The Glory of Christ's Salvation, where we look at the implications of the gospel as laid out by Paul in Romans 3:27-31.  Paul looks at how we are to respond to Christ's death on the cross, His resurrection - the gospel.  He looks at the question of what we are to do with the law?  We are not justified by works as required by the law, nor by knowledge of the law, nor by any special status - as both Jews and Gentiles are saved.  We are saved and justified by faith.  Jesus did not come to overthrow the law but to fulfill/confirm it and as my previous study of Providence reminds me that God gives us the Holy Spirit to drive the obedience to the law He seeks. 

In looking at v27-31 in more detail, my commentary starts by reminding that we are not to boast - we did not earn our salvation.  The first implication being that we are to be humbled. It also states that all of Martin Luther's Five Solas are contained in these verses "with verse 27 falling in the 'in the glory of God alone' category".

Second, in v28-21 we (as a church) are to be unified as "the cross, then, destroys discrimination."  Jew and Gentile alike are saved. There is to be no ethnic hostility. "His grace enables us to be 'gracists,' not racists."

Comment and discuss this post here

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is full of grace for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of the grace You pour out for me.  My sin, of many flavors, continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.