Tuesday, November 23, 2021

And God blessed them. And God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth....." The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it.

Leviticus 25

 And God blessed them. And God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth....."  The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it. Genesis 1:28, 2:15

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing chapter twenty-two - A Theology of Things  - covering Leviticus 25:1-55, looking specifically at the third theme for the chapter - God Tells His People to Care for Creation, So We Protect It.  Here, the commentary theme for today focuses on God's commands for us to care for the natural environment God created.  It starts by pointing to the commands God gave Adam and Even in the Garden of Eden to subdue the earth, and to work and keep it.  The commentary then states that "[i]n Leviticus 25 God gave His people a specific way to care for a specific area of land.  He told them to let the land and animals rest every seven years.  God was teaching His people that the lands was their use but not their abuse. They were to respect the land, to be responsible for the land, and to care for the land."  The commentary wraps by highlighting how others may elevate the environment above humanity or to worship the environment as an idol in itself. We are encouraged not to deify nature. At the same time, we are encouraged to avoid exploitation of the land and to consider replenishment and sustainability as "modern ways to implement God's ancient command to give the land rest."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who created the Earth for me to enjoy and provide for me - thank You Jesus!  Your creation is an incredible blessing!  I am not deserving of how You provide such a blessing.  I am harsh with others.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.