Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.

 Leviticus 24

Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Romans 12:11

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - starting chapter twenty-one - In God's Presence  - covering Leviticus 24:1-23, looking specifically at the introduction and the first theme for the chapter - We Serve God Daily. In the introduction, the commentary for today summarizes the main idea for Leviticus 24 by stating "God intends for us to live in His presence, serving Him daily, fellowshipping  with Him intimately, relating to Him reverently, and responding to people graciously." It compares God's presence in the Old Testament through the tabernacle with the Holy Spirit that lives in the hearts of believers in the New Testament.  The Israelites met with God in the tabernacle, which served as the physical representation of God's presence (see Exodus 29:42, 25:22).  Believers, on the other hand, have Jesus in their hearts through the Holy Spirit.  The commentary also points out that Jesus will never leave or forsake us, and instead of meeting with God in the tabernacle, believers are often referred to as a temple (see Matthew 28:20, Hebrews 13:5, 1 Corinthians 3:16-17, 6:19, 2 Corinthians 6:16, and Ephesians 2:21). 

Looking specifically at the theme for today - We Serve God Daily - the commentary examines Leviticus 24:2-4 and God's command to "bring you pure oil from beaten olives for the lamp, that a light may be kept burning regularly." While believers no longer bring oil to the priests to keep the light in the tabernacle burning, the commentary urges us to look at how we are to serve God continually.  Several scriptural examples are provided as a means to exhort us to serve - see also Hebrews 9:14, Romans 12:11, and Matthew 20:28.  

Comment and discuss this post here. 

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me, who lives in my heart, and who never leaves or forsakes me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings!  I have sin...worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.