Tuesday, November 9, 2021

But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope...For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”

Leviticus 21-22

But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope...For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.” 1 Thessalonians 4:13, 1 Corinthians 15:53-54

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - starting chapter eighteen - Holiness and Leadership - covering Leviticus 21-22, looking specifically at the introduction and second theme for the chapter - God Calls Us to Reflect His Truth in Our Grief.  This theme of the commentary encourages us to see Leviticus 21:1-6 and 10-12 as God's call for believers to grieve and mourn death differently and set apart from how the world views death. The commentary's author leans on sources that indicate "[i]t is likely that one main reason God told priests to be separate from funerals is that such rules made Israel's priests different from priests in pagan religions.  Priests in pagan religion were involved in ceremonies for the dead.  The religions of Canaan, Egypt to the south, and Mesopotamia to the north had extensive cults of the dead and ancestor worship. Some funeral rites sought to maintain contact with the deceased and to give the deceased provisions like food and drink for the afterlife....The way [believers] behave after death of a loved one reveals what we believe about life, death, and God."

We are referred to 1 Thessalonians 4:13 and 1 Corinthians 15:53-54 for scriptural examples where believers are called to be hopeful and believe God has providence over death and He gives believers eternal life.

I am deeply grateful that I will get to see my mom in Heaven as she accepted Jesus as here Lord and Savior at 81 years old after being Jewish her whole life (video1, 2, 3).  This was a miracle indeed as did this in 2014, then died - and went to Heaven! - 3 years later.  I want to as many people as possible to Jesus so that I can see them in Heaven as well.

And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh. Jude 1:22-23

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father, You are an awesome God who loves me and who snatched me from the fire - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving - I was an enemy of You, hostile to You.  Thank You Jesus!  Thank You for my salvation and for eternal life.  Thank You for saving my mom!  Yet again I am not deserving...nor are any of us who believe.  My sin is great and it continues - worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.