Sunday, November 14, 2021

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

 Leviticus 23

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing chapter twenty - Celebrating Our Relationship with the Sovereign Lord of Time  - covering Leviticus 23:1-44, looking specifically at the second theme for the chapter - Learn the New Covenant Connections God Made.  Here, the commentary builds on the theme discussed yesterday, and explains the connection between the festivals described in Leviticus 23 with Jesus's death on the cross.  It states: "[a]mazingly, God timed the most important events in Jesus' saving work to coincide with festivals He had commanded His people to observe over 1,400 years earlier." 

  • Passover: on the same day Israel killed a Passover lamb to celebrate how they were spared God's wrath on Egypt, Jesus died on the cross as John writes, He became "the Lamb of God, who took takes away the sin of the world" (John 1:29
  • Festival of Unleavened Bread: just as God rescued the Israelites from bondage in Egypt, Jesus delivers believers from slavery to sin (John 8:34, 36)
  • Festival of Firstfruits: just as this festival celebrates the beginning of the harvest, the New Testament describes Jesus' resurrection; see 1 Corinthians 15:20
  • Festival of Weeks: on the same day in Acts 2, Pentecost results in a harvest three thousand souls who repented of their sins and believed in Jesus - a harvest of souls for the new church
  • Festival of trumpets: just as the trumpet sounds the coming of the new year in the Old Testament, the trumpet sounds the coming of Christ in the New Testament - see 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 and the book of Revelation
  • Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur): Leviticus describes how on the Day of Atonement the sacrifices offered and rituals practiced were different then for other days of the year where sacrifices were offered; with Jesus death on the cross, Jesus became the perfect sacrifice, the mediator of a new and better covenant, and He took our sins away; as the commentary describes "He is our scapegoat; our sin was placed on Him, and He went outside the gate of the city to be crucified as a sacrifice for our sins 
  • Festival of Booths (Tabernacles - Succoth): just as the Israelites celebrated how God provided for and protected the Israelites as they wandered through the wilderness after escaping Egypt, Jesus never leaves or forsakes us, and He provides and protects us - sealing us for eternity - see Philippians 4:19 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides and protects me at all times - thank You Jesus.  I know that through both good and bad times, You will never leave or forsake me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  I worry, and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.