Monday, November 22, 2021

"No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."

Leviticus 25

"No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money." Matthew 6:24

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing chapter twenty-two - A Theology of Things  - covering Leviticus 25:1-55, looking specifically at the second theme for the chapter - God Tells His People to Worship Only Him, So We Do Not Worship Possessions.  Here, the commentary theme for today emphasizes v2, v17, v36, v38, v43, and v55 where God commands us how to relate to Him by observing a Sabbath for the land, by fearing Him, and by remembering what God has done and who He is.  The commentary emphasizes these verses and states that these verses are important because "[God] was telling them how to relate to Him.  The importance of relating to God properly is crucial if we are going to understand Leviticus 25 and most of Old Testament history.  Ultimately, the way we think about things and the way we spend money are not about dollars and centers; they are about who is our God.  God's people were anticipating leaving the Sinai wilderness and entering the land of milk and honey....They were moving from slavery to prosperity.  God was preparing them for that change by telling them to remember that He is God.  The land is God; don't worship the harvest.  The rain is not God; the real God gives the rain, the harvest, and the land.  Worship Him."  The commentary stresses these points because during this time in the Bible, the Israelites were to enter Canaan, and the Canaanites worshiped prosperity and many idol gods they thought who brought about prosperity.  The commentary then pivots to how believers of today can easily get suckered into worshiping prosperity in the same way, yet God tells us clearly we cannot serve two masters - we are referred to Matthew 6:24 to see Jesus speaking on this question.  The commentary wraps by exhorting us to fear and worship God alone and not our possessions. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of love and compassion for me.  You provide for all of my needs - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessing.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.