Friday, November 5, 2021

“If you love me, you will keep my commandments.["]

Leviticus 19-20

“If you love me, you will keep my commandments.["] John 14:15

This afternoon, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing chapter seventeen - Holiness and Love - covering Leviticus 19-20, looking specifically at the third theme for the chapter - Our Holiness Arises from a Relationship with God.  Here, the commentary examines how we achieve holiness over the course of our journey with Christ, and how we express that holiness - in other words, how can know and "measure" that we are indeed being holy.  In looking at how, or the process through which we become holy, the commentary starts by referring to us to the Old Testament and how God invited the Israelites into a special relationship with Him.  The commentary states that "[h]oliness arises from a relationship with God, and the closer we get to God the more holy we become.  The tabernacle in which the Israelites was divided into three sections, each one of which represented different degrees of holiness....Every Israelite was allowed in [the outer court]." The priests could only enter the holy place inside the tent, and only the high priest could enter the inner sanctum or the "most holy place" (see also Exodus 26:33-34).  This inner sanctum represented the presence of God.  The commentary continues in its description of the tabernacle by by saying: "[i]n the tabernacle, to move closer to [the inner sanctum] that represented the presence of God was to become more and more holy.  That physical reality illustrates a spiritual reality--the closer we get to God, the more holy we will become, the more separated from the ways of the world and the more consecrated to God we will grow....The key to holiness is staying close to God."

The commentary then moves to how we express our holiness, or how we know or "measure" our holiness.  Looking at Leviticus 19-20, the commentary refers us to v19:3-4, 37, and in v20:8, and 22 where God seeks our obedience to His commands. The commentary also points us to the New Testament, where Jesus, in John 14:15 says "[i]f you love me, you will keep my commandments." Beyond our obedience, the commentary indicates that we express our holiness through communion with God. We are pointed to Leviticus v19:5-8 and 20:2-6 where: (1) the fellowship offering is described - this offering is described as meaning "the worshiper was at peace with God"; (2) we are urged to see how "[o]ur fellowship with God is exclusive" and how God commands us not to create idols for other Gods - we are to worship Him alone.  

The commentary wraps by reminding believers that sin breaks our fellowship with God. Due to the fact that, for believers, sin remains until we meet Jesus face to face, we must continue to seek God, seek His forgiveness for sin that remains in our lives, and remain close to Him so that He "gives us pardon for sin in our past, and power over sin in our present[.]"

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who forgives me and gives me power over sin - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  I continue to sin, with arrogance, harshness towards others, and worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.