Sunday, December 5, 2021

And while they were there, the time came for her to give birth. And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.

 Luke 2

And while they were there, the time came for her to give birth. And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn. Luke 2:6-7

This morning, I continued with my listening/reading of a Christmas/Advent devotional from John Piper. Picking up where we left off yesterday, today's entry focuses on how Jesus could have made space for Joseph and Mary at an inn in Bethlehem, but that was not God's will nor His plan.  God sought for Jesus to rise from humble beginnings and to die on the cross as a means to not just fulfill prophecy, but also to demonstrate His glory, and so all humanity (not just Israel) could be reconciled to Him. Piper urges us to see how God wants all of us to remember that we must be humble just as Jesus was humble - Piper provides several verses to emphasize this application:

  • Luke 9:23 - all believers are to deny selves
  • John 15:20 - believers must not be greater than Jesus; just as He was humble so too must we also be; we are subject to persecution just as He was
  • Luke 9:57-58 - followers of Jesus must be prepared for hardship and tough times

While Jesus does tell us that we are subject to persecution and hardship - we can have hope in Him because He has overcome the world:

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. John 16:33

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are amazing indeed - that You came to earth with such humility and a heart of service - for me and all of humanity....thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God. My sin continues...worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.