Wednesday, December 8, 2021

“Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.”

 Matthew 2

“Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.” Matthew 2:2

This morning, I continued with my listening/reading of a Christmas/Advent devotional from John Piper. Today's entry focuses on the star that guided (see also Matthew 2:9) the Magi to the baby Jesus, the newborn king of the Jews.  Piper appropriately exhorts us not to get lost in the marginal - we are not to be preoccupied on how the star guided the Magi to Bethlehem.  Instead, we are to cherish the "great central things of the gospel: the holiness of God, the ugliness of sin, the helplessness of man, the death of Christ, justification by faith alone, the sanctifying work of the Spirit, the glory of Christ’s return, and the final judgment."  Piper then offers up how we are to what is going on: "what is plain concerning this matter of the star is that it is doing something that it cannot do on its own: It is guiding magi to the Son of God to worship him. There is only one Person in biblical thinking that can be behind that intentionality in the stars: God himself.  So, the lesson is plain: God is guiding foreigners to Christ to worship him. And he is doing it by exerting global — probably even universal — influence and power to get it done." 

Piper wraps today's devotional by pointing us to scripture where it reinforces his key takeaway:

  • Matthew 24:14: God wants us to move from "come and see" as the Magi did, to "go and tell" where all believers participate in the Great Commission to share the good news of Jesus Christ
  • John 4:23: God wants all humanity to worship Him

We exist to glorify God - for those of us led by God to "come and see" (and accept) Jesus, we must remember to "go and tell."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provided a star to guide me to You so that You could give me the gift of faith - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You did this for me.  I remain harsh to others and I worry, among my many sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.