Thursday, December 16, 2021

Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth[.]

Philippians 2

 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth[.] Philippians 2:9-10

This morning, I continued with my listening/reading of a Christmas/Advent devotional from John Piper. Today's entry focuses on how God works through what Piper calls "divinely appointed setbacks."  He uses the story of Joseph to show how although he was "promised glory and power in his dream (Genesis 37:5-11)," Joseph first had to become a slave and a prisoner.  Jesus also had to be beaten, mocked, spit upon, and then crucified before He rose from the grave three days later. Piper explains that both received glory because they kept their integrity. He then wraps today's devotion by stating that: "[a]nd this is God’s way for us too. We are promised glory — if we will suffer with him as it says in Romans 8:17. The way up is down. The way forward is backward. The way to success is through divinely appointed setbacks. They will always look and feel like failure. But if Joseph and Jesus teach us anything this Christmas it is this: What Satan and sinful men meant for evil, 'God meant it for good!' (Genesis 50:20)."

We are also pointed to a hymn "God Moves in a Mysterious Way", written by William Cowper in 1774.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God and I have seen Your hand in both good and bad times - through suffering and times of great joy - in and through it all I see Your glory.  Your ways are both good and perfect - yet often mysterious.  Thank You for pouring out Your many blessings for me and for never leaving or forsaking me.  I am not deserving of how You do all of this.  My sin continues - harshness with others, worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength. Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.