Sunday, December 19, 2021

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery.

 Hebrews 2

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. Hebrews 2:14-15

This morning, I continued with my listening/reading of a Christmas/Advent devotional from John Piper. Today's entry focuses on the power of death possessed by Satan and how Jesus' death on the cross took Satan's power of death away, giving us freedom - a freedom that not only frees us from anxiety over death, but from anxiety about anything that this life and Satan may throw at us.  Piper's words today remind me of Paul's words from Philippians 3:

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith—that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. Philippians 3:8-11

Freedom indeed!

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are incredible God who gives me freedom - an unsurpassed and unimaginable power - the blessings of salvation and the greatest gift of all time.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings and such a gift.  I sin...daily...worry, etc.  Please forgive me for my lack of trust in You Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.