Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

John 20

Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. John 20:30-31

This afternoon, I continued with my listening/reading of a Christmas/Advent devotional from John Piper. Today's entry focuses on how believers are often dead to the wonder of God and how we need to be awakened to the majesty of God. Piper writes about how we too often seek worldly facsimiles of wonder - in books and movies, etc. but we fail to seek the wonder and glory in Jesus, whose incarnation, Piper writes (referring to John 18:37) is "as crazy and weird and strange and eerie as [anything] in science fiction that you have ever read." Piper prays for the readers of his devotional; he prays "for a breaking forth of the Spirit of God upon me and upon you; for the Holy Spirit to break into my experience in a frightening way, to wake me up to the unimaginable reality of God."  We are urged to seek and experience the unimaginable reality of God before Christ comes again and we face grave irreversible consequences. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are unimaginable.  Yet I have experienced Your hand and Your Spirit personally - I have experienced Your grace and power and I am humbled that You would pour it out for me.  Thank You Jesus! I am certainly not deserving.  I sin every day.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.